Hidden within Clampitt Plantation, to the south of Clampitt House, there can be found a small granite outcrop barely a metre and a half in height. Its stature within the thickets of these dark woodlands, coupled with what appears above the brambles possessing a camouflage of moss, has meant it has long been overlooked, indeed it isn't noticeable from the nearest track some one hundred metres to the east.
But it didn't escape the notice of a woodland survey back in the nineties, as the small tor is a natural plinth to an unusual artifact that sits atop. Referenced as a "Worked stone south of Clampitt House" it goes on to describe a "Standing granite post with feather and tare marks noted in 1994 woodland survey standing on the highest point of land in this sector, just north of the southern boundary wall."
The stone, at an approximate height of two metres, is an oddity and its purpose is unclear although it is highly likely that it is simply there to signify the top (at 296m) of the plantation. There are no inscriptions visible, but as the granite is coated in a thin layer of a rust coloured lichen on two sides we cannot rule any out. The records date it between 1750-1900, which isn't particularly helpful in the search for further information. Special thanks go to Paul Rendell for alerting us to this outcrop.