Lord Mayor's Castle
It seems that William Crossing (1912) was the first to put this name in print "On the opposite bank of the Tavy, on the slope of Knoll, a hill sometimes called Outer Standon, is a large mound, apparently thrown up by the tinners. At one time they were busy here, as the extensive remains of their workings attest. The moormen do not however, connect this mound with them, but regard it as having formed a kind of stronghold and give to it the name of Lord Mayor's Castle."
Indeed the 'castle' is a curious sight a peculiar overgrown conical mound that is set on the south side of the river below the nearby Knoll. Peppered with low granite rocks it appears as a small buried tor with a distinctive rock face and two large rowan trees sprouting from the upper parts. It certainly occupies a spectacular setting being just a few metres from the water's edge and from the summit it looks out towards the massive sprawl of broken granite that is scattered across the slopes of Watern Oke to the north.
Very much a lesser known part of the dramatic Tavy Cleave, when viewed from above Lord Mayor's Castle takes on a distinctly ornamental charm, with its delightful mix of rock and vegetation.