Higher Combe Rocks South
Higher Combe is a stretch of woodland that lies to the west of the A382 between Lustleigh and Moretonhampstead roughly a mile from the former and two from the latter. There are hidden within the trees numerous scattered rocks and boulders that in places are sufficiently large enough to warrant small tor status. Towards the southern end of the wood at SX 7788 8258 there are some interesting clusters that have some height although this is mostly disguised by vegetation and shade.
The large moss-covered boulders here are quite impressive and culminate in a tall weathered and split stack of some twelve feet in height that is capped with a scruffy and straggly creeper trailing over the rock.
When looking at the OS map of the area a granite cross is indicated at approximately SX 777825. This is known as either Higher Combe Cross or Cross Park Cross on account of the latter being the name of the field in which it stands. According to the Dartmoor Crosses website this is not likely to be its original position as it is thought to have once acted as a wayside cross. We learn from Harry Starkey that the cross was moved in 1860 from a nearby bank to its current position apparently by a Mr Amery the then farmer at Higher Combe who set it on a large granite boulder securing it in place with four iron clamps.
Walking along the slopes here can be a challenge as they are quite steep and low branches can impede progress, so care needs to be taken and be warned that both the rocks and the granite cross do reside on private land so permission to roam must be respectfully sought from the landowner.